Thursday, January 3, 2013

Quilting for Geeks

Several months ago I stumbled onto a wonderful site called Fandom in Stitches.  Basically, it is quilting designed for geeks.  If you have an obsession with classic video games, science fiction movies, vampires, or Lord of the Rings, chances are that they have a quilt block or two that would appeal to you.  Pretty much all of their patterns are paper-pieced, which happens to be my favorite piecing method, and all of their patterns are free!  It was the perfect place to find inspiration for family Christmas presents.

My sister and cousin are really into the Harry Potter series, so I made them Hogwarts Crest pillows:



Another sister of mine is slightly obsessed with Doctor Who, so I made her a TARDIS tumbling through the vortex.


My youngest cousin is still really into Disney's Cars, so I made him Lightning McQueen, complete with a shiny gold lightning bolt on the side.


Another cool thing about Fandom in Stitches is that they have a photo group on Flickr that allows fans to post photos of projects they have made using Fandom in Stitches patterns.  Then they also post those photos on their blog every Tuesday (and offer prizes!).  You can see my work-in-progress photos posted on Fandom here!  

Also, if you would like to check out some additional detail shots, you can peruse my Flickr photos here!

...and just one last little thing that I am SUPER excited about... Fandom in Stitches is hosting a "Not All Who Wander Are Lost" Lord of the Rings Block-of-the-Month quilt project!!  Every month they will post a new block or two and I intend to sew them up so that at the end of the year I will be able to put together an entire Lord of the Rings quilt!  I am so excited!

1 comment:

  1. Great job - the Lightening McQueen pillow has such an appealing color combo. And the fabrics that you used for bordering the Hogwarts Crest pillows, I would love to use either of them for a project I have in mind...

    ReplyDelete