I found a great tutorial here by Shruti from the blog 13 Woodhouse Road. I made 24 squares per pillowcase, and with each square being 4" they were easily combined into queen-sized shams!
Folding and ironing all 48 of those squares proved to be a very time consuming task... I think I watched nearly an entire season of Downton Abbey on Netflix! But once I had the squares sewn together, sewing the arcs around the colored patches went rather smoothly.
However, not all of the points lined up perfectly, and being a perfectionist I decided that adding buttons to each point would hide any imperfections and add some additional interest and texture. I found a variety of white and off-white buttons in my stash and decided that the randomness would complement the handmade, patchwork design scheme.
Of course, I didn't realize how long it was going to take to add buttons... sewing on a total of 78 buttons took about 7 hours! But the end result was definitely worth it and my mom loves her gift!
...and Noel loves them too!