Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Origami Dragon

I find the Japanese art of paper folding to be incredibly beautiful and mystifying at the same time.  A single, flat piece of paper is somehow transformed into elegant, 3-dimensional work of art!

Now, I thought I was pretty good at origami.  After all, I can pretty much fold a paper crane in my sleep.  But then I started running across models like this:


...and I realized that I can barely fold squat.

Or can I?

I found a pretty nice tutorial on YouTube for folding an origami dragon (you can watch it here) and I decided to give it a try!

Here is my third attempt:


I may not be an expert like Kade Chan who invented this model (how you can think up complex patterns like this one is way beyond me!) but I think it turned out pretty good.

For an extra dramatic effect, I mounted the dragon model on a piece of wood and added a flickering flame-like lightbulb.


Behold!


2 comments: