Thursday, November 24, 2011

Blue Ribbon Apple Pie

Happy Thanksgiving!


I sure hope that you are able to spend the day enjoying family, friends and food!
Our little family will be getting together with all of my husband's relatives at his grandma's house.  Usually grandma does all of the cooking, but this year I decided to contribute to the feast by bringing a pie for dessert.


Now, I attempted to make a pie from scratch a few years ago... and got terribly frustrated.  The crust dough was crumbly and not rolling out right and the end result was a lopsided mess!  At that point I resolved to only use pre-made crust in the future.


And then I stumbled across this:  

Grandma Brunet's Blue Ribbon Apple Pie


Hmm... I thought to myself... that doesn't look too hard...  wow... that recipe is absurdly simple...


Crust:
2 cups flour
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup shortening
1/4 cup cold water


Filling:
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon cinnamon
2 tablespoons flour
6-8 medium sized tart apples, thinly sliced


How hard could it be?  


Truth is, it wasn't!  An hour and a half later we were enjoying some of the most delicious apple pie I've ever tasted!  The crust was light and flaky and the apple filling was sweet and juicy!  Since I found the recipe three weeks ago I've made just as many pies and they have all turned out great.


This one will be coming with us to grandma's house!  I can't wait to share it!


...and I had enough dough left over to make two little mini pies!  
(These I don't have to share!)


The recipe and step by step instructions can be found here.





No comments:

Post a Comment